Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our strength and our redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

Monday, April 25, 2016

The Fifth Sunday of Easter - April 24

It Takes Others
John13:31-35


Throughout the Easter season, the Gospel readings are taken from John’s Gospel.  They come from different parts of the Gospel, different parts of Jesus’ life, but all teach us how to be Easter people.  How to live as followers of Christ in this time after his death and resurrection.

Today’s reading comes from near the end of Jesus’ life.  Jesus and his disciples are gathered at the last supper.  Judas has just left.  And, with that, those of us who know the story know that the final sequence of events leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion have inexorably begun.  The end is near.

We may assume that Jesus also knows that the time he has left with his disciples is short.  “Little children, I am with you only a little longer,” he says.

So the words of today’s Gospel are some of the last words he shares with his followers.  These are words to live by after I am gone.  This is what you should do as my disciples going forward.

Love one another as I have loved you. 

I think it’s easy, without giving it much thought, to assume that Jesus means: “be loving amongst yourselves.”  We imagine he is talking only about relationships between the disciples.

It seems much more likely he meant:  Love others, all sorts of others, in the same way I have loved you.

Love others as I have loved.  A very straightforward command.  Not so easy always to put into practice.

I’ve said it over and over and over.  In church, in this reading love is not a feeling.  Love is not a feeling of affection.  In fact, we don’t have a clue how Jesus felt most of the time.  The Scriptures don’t tell us.   When there is some allusion to how he might have felt, it isn’t “loving” or “affectionate,” it’ exasperated, tired, angry…

We don’t know how Jesus felt.  We do know what he did.  And his ministry was broad, not limited to the disciples.  Not limited even to the Jews.   His actions, his deeds, brought God’s presence and care and new life.  He acted to show care for people.

He touched outcasts.  Literally touched lepers, who were defined as unclean.  He sat down eat with tax collectors and prostitutes, people shunned by society.  He brought fellowship and healing.

He fed people who were hungry.  One of the stories of feeding the multitudes does say that Jesus felt compassion.  Not affection, but compassion.  He acted to meet their needs, to show God’s care, to feed people who were hungry.
His words and his actions forgave Peter.  Peter, whose personal denial of Jesus was profound.  Jesus rebuilt that relationship.

He taught reconciliation and forgiveness to anyone who would listen and many who wouldn’t.

He calmed storms.  I’ve always cherished the metaphorical, as well as the literal, aspect of that action.  Jesus brought calm and peace into situations that were full of storms or conflict.

Love others as I have loved you and them, Jesus says.

For a while earlier this week I was thinking about preaching on Earth Day.  Environmental stewardship is important to me.  Caring for God’s wonderful creation is something we are all called to do.  As I was thinking about it I was reminded how often I’ve heard people say:  I don’t need to go to church, I can find God by the seashore.  Or:  I don’t need to go to church, I can find God in the mountains, or in the forest or on the golf course.

I speak to you as someone who has found God in all of those places (except the golf course).  But Jesus reminds us today that being a disciple involves more than individually finding God, whether out in creation or here in church.  Love others, as I have loved you.  That takes others.

To follow Jesus’ command requires us to interact with others in ways that show care.

It means even more than being civil to fellow parishioners.  Although I certainly recommend that.  It means seeking out those people who need us to love them.  Seeking out the people we are called to care for in Jesus name!

The person at coffee hour who needs someone to listen.  Seek her out.
The widower in your neighborhood who is profoundly lonely.  Seek her out.
People who are hungry.  Seek them out.

I am more and more concerned about the many people who are victims of violence over which they have absolutely no control.  Victims of domestic violence.  Victims of political violence.  Victims of the gun violence that plagues Chicago streets.  How can I act to bring God’s life and care into these peoples’ lives?

It takes others for us to be disciples of Jesus.  Love others as I have loved you.  Seek out people who need our care.  That’s what it means to be Easter people today.