Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our strength and our redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

Friday, December 2, 2016

Thanksgiving - November 24, 2016


Saying Grace

I don’t know if anyone has ever done a study, but I imagine that a higher percentage of people and families say grace over their meal on Thanksgiving than on any other day.  In fact, I expect that quite a few people say grace only on Thanksgiving and not at any other time or occasion.

If you think about it, it’s actually kind of a funny phrase: to say grace.  If you asked a ten year old to say grace, wouldn’t the natural response be “grace?”  What the phrase means, of course, is to say “a” grace.  And a grace is a prayer.  A prayer of thanksgiving or praise.  A prayer invoking God’s blessing or grace.

Incidentally, the dictionary definition describes a grace as a short prayer, something to remember at the Thanksgiving table.

As I was browsing information on graces I came across one that said:  May God’s grace hover at our table this day.  Hover.  I like that tangible, visible image of God’s grace or blessing as something we can see.

Because, although we ask God to bless, to lend his grace, we don’t really need to summon or conjure God’s grace.  It is already with us.

What we are doing when we say grace is making ourselves aware, opening ourselves to the action of God’s grace, tuning our ears to hear and our eyes to see God’s blessing.  The action or change that we pray for is not in God, but in us.  We are not saying:  Hey, God, I know you weren’t going to come to our Thanksgiving dinner, but now since we’ve said grace, we know you’ll change your mind and show up.  Rather, we are saying:  Change us, transform our hearts to see your grace with us, that we may live more faithfully and more gratefully.

It’s too bad that we say grace so infrequently.  Think how gloriously we might be changed if we said grace at more meals, or even at other times in our lives.  If we could open ourselves to see God’s grace hovering over us, enfolding us, in other daily activities as well as eating.

I have a book that is an anthology of prayers (The Oxford Book of Prayer, ed. Appleton).  It contains a group of prayers written by Chinese Christian women and men.  I don’t know anything about the origin or history of the prayers.  But they are written to accompany the tasks of daily life.

A prayer, a grace when opening a door:
A pray thee, Lord to open the door of my heart to receive thee within my heart.
Help me to see your blessing and grace with me as I open a door.

On pruning a tree:
I pray thee, Lord, to purge me and take away my selfishness and sinful thoughts, that I may bring forth more fruits of the Spirit.

A grace while posting a letter:
I pray thee, Lord to add to me faith upon faith, that I may always have communication with thee.

When planting, or sowing seed:
I pray thee, Lord, to sow the good seed of virtue in my heart, letting it grow by day and night and bring forth a hundredfold.

When drawing water, or, as we would say, turning on the tap:
I pray thee, Lord, to give living water to quench my thirst, and wash away the stains from my heart.

A prayer when boiling water for tea:
I pray thee, Lord, to send down spiritual fire to burn away the coldness of my heart and that I may always be hot-hearted in serving thee.

Think about saying grace more often.  Praying for the awareness of God’s grace and blessing with us and giving thanks in all of the activities throughout our daily lives.