Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our strength and our redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Twenty-sixth Sunday after Pentecost - November 13

Christ Died for You
Proper 28

Today is the next to last Sunday in the church year.  We have Christ the King next Sunday, and then begin anew with Advent.  The next to last Sunday.  The church year is drawing to a close.

This is also the first Sunday after the national election.

The readings appointed for today, of course, come from the lectionary and relate to the church calendar.  We always have apocalyptic readings, speaking of the end times, at this time of year.  They are always difficult to preach on.

Yet probably not as difficult as preaching on the election.  Yet we must engage with it.  As tempting as it may be for many of us to disengage as much as possible, we are called to be the Body of Christ in this world at this time.  We must engage events as important as this one and reflect and respond as Christians.

The campaign and election have inescapably been a part of all of our lives for months upon months upon months now.  We have that experience in common.

Yet…  it seems it has also been an experience that we have NOT had in common.  Based on your own life experience, your general political preferences, and maybe most importantly, where you get your news…  amongst us here there are undoubtedly vastly different perceptions and feelings.

It is part of my vocation as pastor and preacher to offer words to you now.  Faithful words.  Faith-filled words.  The preacher’s tool is words.

And yet, as I’ve struggled to find words the last few days, what has just knocked me flat is:  Words aren’t being heard.

I have felt overcome by the futility of conversation.  The literal impossibility of communication with words.  Our entire country is engaged in an enraged cosmic shouting match.  I fear that any words I might offer would just become weapons or fodder or lost in the fray.  As I read and listen, I am overwhelmed with the hopelessness of words having meaning right now, at least any words directly related to the candidates or the election.

At last count bishops in 24 dioceses in the Episcopal Church have issued statements on the election.  Words from the church.  That’s about a quarter of the dioceses in the Episcopal Church, which is remarkable!  Undoubtedly, it would have been even more, except it is convention season in the Episcopal Church.  Many bishops are sharing their thoughts and processing the election within the context of their diocesan conventions, rather than in published statements.  

Most of these statements say much what I would say if I were going to speak directly to the election. I made handouts including a few of the bishops’ statements (You can read them all HERE.  I included Presiding Bishop Curry, our Bishop of Chicago Jeffrey Lee, and the Bishops of Newark, Washington, and Fond du Lac).  Take them home.  Read them carefully when you have time to hear the meaning of the words.  I am definitely available to have individual conversations with any of you for whom that would be helpful.

But today I want to offer some different words.  As I hear and read and see the depth of anger, hatred, disrespect, threats… that are being shouted, I finally found words that I can say into that space.

They come from Frederick Buechner.  I’ve quoted this before, I think from the pulpit, certainly in other settings.  Buechner is talking about the Lord’s Supper.  What we gather, come together, as Christians to do here on Sundays.

It is also called Holy Communion because when feeding at this implausible table, Christians believe that they are communing with the Holy One himself, his spirit enlivening their spirits, heating the blood and gladdening the heart just the way wine, as spirits, can.

They (we!) are also, of course, communing with each other.  To eat any meal together is to meet at the level of our most basic need.  It is hard to preserve your dignity with butter on your chin or to keep your distance when asking for the tomato ketchup.

To eat this particular meal together is to meet at this level of our most basic humanness, which involves our need not just for food but for each other.  I need you to help fill my emptiness just as you need me to help fill yours.  As the emptiness that’s still left over, well we’re in it together, or it is in us.  Maybe it’s most of what makes us human and makes us [sisters and] brothers.

He concludes with words from the service…

The next time you walk down the street, take a good look at every face you pass and in your mind say Christ died for thee.  That girl.  That slob.  That phony.  That crook.  That saint.  That damned fool.  Christ died for thee.  Take and eat this in remembrance that Christ died for thee  (Wishful Thinking, “Lord’s Supper”).

Christ died for you.  First, I say those words to you.  To each of you here today.  No matter whom you voted for, or if you didn’t vote.  Whether you are now feeling hopeful or very frightened.  Christ died for you.

Christ died for you.  He willingly gave up his life to free you from sin and death.  To set you free!  To open up a way for God’s incomprehensible peace and unquenchable life to fill you.  Christ died for you.  Remember that.

I have also found it helpful to take Buechner’s advice.  When I walk down the street or when I hear some rant on TV or read some comment on the internet, whether the kind or the crazy ones, the ones I support or the ones that deeply offend me, to mentally say to whoever is speaking, Christ died for you. 

I wish I had thought of this in time to do it as I voted…  to look at every name on the ballot, those I voted for and those I didn’t…  those at the top of the ballot and even all of those endless pages of judges…  to say to each of them, Christ died for thee.

I commend this practice to you.  Verbally.  Maybe some one, some person, needs to hear you say to them, Christ died for you.  Or maybe you need to say, or think, it as you go about your daily life and encounter others.

What individual people do with Christ’s gift is up to them, between them and their Lord.  But this practice…  this practice of saying the words:  Christ died for you, has helped to restore my own heart and soul.

This is just the beginning.  It is internal preparation for the external work that needs to be done.  God knows there is work to be done!  Justice work.  The bishops talk more about that.  And it lies ahead of us.

Like many people this week I’ve found myself humming Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.  And if I leave you with that earworm, that’s a good thing.  But the last few days I’ve also been humming another tune.  Today’s canticle.  The canticle we prayed in place of the psalm this morning.  The words are from Isaiah.  It’s one of the canticles for Morning Prayer.  When I was in seminary, we prayed Morning Prayer together as a community every day.  And we sang the canticles; they are meant to be sung.

I know this canticle to a gentle, hopeful melody (Hymn 679).

(Sung)  Surely it is God who saves me; trusting him I shall not fear.
Surely it is God who saves me; trusting him I shall not fear.

Amen.