Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our strength and our redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

Monday, May 1, 2017

The Third Sunday of Easter - April 30


First Hand Christians
Luke 24:13-35

The road to Emmaus story.  Two of Jesus’ followers, Cleopas and a companion are joined by Jesus as they are walking home from Jerusalem to the village of Emmaus.  It is later in the day on Easter Day, the day of Jesus’ resurrection.  This story appears only in Luke’s gospel and Cleopas is not mentioned anywhere else.  Scholars aren’t real sure where the village of Emmaus is, either.  Regardless of whether or not we can confirm the historical details of this story, it has important implications for us as Christians today.

Listen to what one commentator writes about Luke’s telling of the Emmaus story (Fred Craddock, Interpretation Commentary):

There is no doubt that Luke is writing not only the story of Jesus but also that of the church which knows him in these ways.  The importance of experiencing the living Christ in word and sacrament cannot be overemphasized.  There were, says Luke, special appearances of the resurrected Christ to a number of his followers.  In fact, Luke says that such appearances continued for forty days before he was received up into glory (Acts 1:1-11).  Yet were that the whole of the story, all believers except those select few would experience only the absence of Jesus, fated to try to keep faith alive on the thin diet of these reports of his having once been seen by others.  Thus all subsequent generations would have been secondhand Christians, removed by time and place from the Camelot of Luke-Acts.  But Luke here tells us that the living Christ is both the key to our understanding of the Scriptures and the very present Lord who is revealed to us in the breaking of bread.  His presence at the table makes all believers first-generation Christians and every meeting place Emmaus.

There is no reason to doubt that the story Luke tells here about Jesus, about Jesus coming to meet two disciples on the road, is true.  But Luke is also telling a story about his Christian community.  About how they continued, first hand, to encounter the living Christ in the sharing and interpretation of Scripture and in the breaking of the bread.  So this is our story, too.  About how we encounter the risen, living Christ firsthand.  As we gather to share God’s word and to break bread at the Lord’s table.

Thinking about Luke telling the story of how his community encounters the living Christ, I got to thinking how I would tell the story of this community encountering Jesus alive with us.  Of course, like the early Christians, we meet Jesus as he speaks to us from the Scriptures and as he offers himself to us in Holy Communion.  But I would also tell a story set in the undercroft where we gather in caring and conversation.  Where Jesus is active and revealed in acts of compassion and conversations of care for one another.  And stories of outreach, where Jesus’ hands work with us to care for the “least of these.”

As I followed this train of thought I began to think about my own life beyond the life of this Christian community.  When and where do I encounter the living Christ in my life.

I could tell a story about a solitary individual, it could be me or any number of other people, taking time for prayer of reading of Scripture.  Maybe with a candle lit, saying the daily office and reading the Bible and meeting Jesus there.  Or I think about a clergy group I’m in—all women Rectors.  We gather once a month for conversation and support.  Jesus often sits with us.

But as I really thought about the sweep of my daily life, there’s a whole lot of it where I am not aware of the risen Christ with me. 

As you might imagine, I’m dreading the physical move that’s ahead, and I’m just beginning to start thinking about sorting things to move and things not to move.  What if I were to chuck out from my life every thing and every activity where I am not aware of the risen Christ?  What if I were to just sweep away every thing I have and every thing I do that does not lead me to encounter the living Christ.  A lot of the mundane things and activities that fill up everyday life would be gone.

Think about that in your life.  Imagine getting rid of everything that isn’t alive with Christ for you.

What would be left?

Not much?  Would your life, like mine, have huge gaps of time and space if you eliminated everything where you don’t perceive the presence of Christ?

Assuming we want to be closer to Jesus and know him more deeply, there are two things we can do to fill those gaps.

First, do more of those things where we do encounter Jesus.  Spend more time in prayer or Bible study or common worship.  More than just that token every now and then.

And, second, retune our awareness to see Christ present with us in aspects of our lives where we may not expect to find him.   When we fail to see the living Christ with us in many of the activities of our daily lives, it is not because he is not there.  It is because we fail to see him.  Remember, even Cleopas and his companion did not recognize Jesus right away.  They were not expecting to see him there.  Sometimes it takes time or focus to see Jesus in places where we may not expect to find him.

Attentiveness, mindfulness, prayer are ways to do that.  I know I’ve shared at least a portion of these prayers with you before.  I first encountered them many years ago and they really made an impression.  They are prayers of Chinese Christians said to accompany many everyday activities (From the Oxford Book of Prayer, ed. George Appleton). 

A prayer to be said while washing clothes:
I pray thee, Lord, to wash my heart, making me white as snow.

A prayer while pruning a tree:
I pray thee, Lord, to purge me and take away my selfishness and sinful thoughts, that I may bring forth more fruits of the Spirit.

When posting a letter:
I pray thee, Lord, to add to me faith upon faith, that I may always have communication with thee.

Short prayers for mundane, daily activities.  Reminding us that Jesus is with us and praying for his transforming power in our lives.

So Luke’s story about the road to Emmaus leaves us with several things to think about.  In your life, on what occasions, activities, or places do you encounter firsthand the risen Christ?   And how much of your life do those experiences encompass?  If there are gaps and if you would like to know Christ more and better, do more of those things where you find him and work at seeing him in those other aspects of your life.  He is there.